Author Topic: Dry Hopped Gose  (Read 192 times)

Andrew Kline

Dry Hopped Gose
« on: August 28, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
I got overwhelmingly good feedback when I brought this last night.  It is a well balanced beer with lots of tropical notes.  It is also a very easy brew.  Adding the yeast, then the lacto gives the yeast a chance to produce esters.  Copitching them would reduce the yeast character.  For those of you not familiar with Kveik yeast, no that fermentation temperature is not a typo. 

Est OG: 1.041
Bruin water Yellow Balanced Profile. 
75% Efficiency
5.5 gal batch

4.5 lbs German Pilsner (I like Best Maltz)
3.5 German Wheat

Mash at 148 for 90 mins.  Target pH 5.4. Use lactic acid to adjust.
Boil for 5 mins and add .68 oz ground coriander seed and .34 oz sea salt. 
Cool to 95 F and pitch 1 pack Omega Hothead ale (no starter).  Ferment at 95 F.
48 hours later, add 1 pack Omega Lacto Blend (no starter).

The only difficult part of this recipe:  Wait till the acid is at a level you want, then dry hop with 1 oz cyro Citra.  I waited until fermentation was at day 9, dry hopped and purged the fermenter, then racked it the next day.  Final pH 3.18
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:58:14 PM by Andrew Kline »

Andrew Kline

Re: Dry Hopped Gose
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
I am going to use my speidel fermenter next time to take daily samples to get the sourness right.  I am also considering dialing the salt down 10% for dry hopped versions and keeping it the same for fruited versions.  Fred recommended adding a touch of crystal for a little malt complexity, so I am considering adding an ounce of caravienne.  Also, I may want to use a different yeast if I want to get out of the tropical zone, although I like the convenience and speed of the kveik.

Andrew Kline

Re: Dry Hopped Gose
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
Made another version of this with more wheat (including spelt and flaked wheat because I ran out of wheat), hornindal kveik, goodbelly lacto, and 75% the amount of coriander and salt.  Also, used half indian coriander because my brother in law got it really cheap. 

Going back to the original recipe.  The second beer is good, but the only changes I am happy about are the wheat, lacto, and decreased coriander and salt.  I am going to use 50/50 pils/wheat next time.  I'm going to decrease the amount of coriander and salt from the original recipe by 10% instead of 25% and I will use the coriander from CAP N Cork because it is more citrusy and intense vs the less intense, more herbal indian coriander.

I was much happier using my speidel so I wasn't just guessing when to dry hop.  The goodbelly only got to 3.4 or 3.5 I forget.  I think I will just stick to the omega lacto for this beer because it sours quicker and more (more than I need, hence the dry hop).