Author Topic: 2018 KGB cider buy  (Read 315 times)

Tralmix

2018 KGB cider buy
« on: October 01, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
BAHCO Brewing Company

Andrew Kline

Re: 2018 KGB cider buy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:49:03 AM »
Not sure if I will do this again.  Every time I've used their cider, I get a really sulfery fermentation.  Anyone with the same or opposite experience?

konrad

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
Not sure if I will do this again.  Every time I've used their cider, I get a really sulfery fermentation.  Anyone with the same or opposite experience?
Never sulfury for me.  Of course, I rack about three times over 6 months before I package.  That said... I'm going to try for Uncle John's bulk cider buy again this year (missed it last year).  Want something different than "off-the-shelf" cider.
Konrad

Andrew Kline

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 01:43:11 PM »
Okay it was probably just something in my process.  Its worth the drive.  My favorite is their heirloom blend + a clean yeast or wild yeast if you're feeling lucky.  Drinking the last of last years right now.  I used a white wine yeast on this batch and the esters are just distracting from the very nice blend.

Noiz2

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 12:23:27 AM »
The batch I got a couple of years ago was VERY sulfery, as in open the fermentor and rotten eggs everywhere.  I did a little searching and copper bonds with the sulfur dioxide, so I put a bunch of copper tubing I had sitting around (after cleaning and sanitizing) and it went away in a week or so.  Turned out very nice.
Cheers
SK
Scott Koue

Vagabond55

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 12:38:02 PM »
I have had good luck with cider I have gotten from Westview Orchards in Washington Township.  I have done 3 batches with their cider.

kruz805

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:03 AM »
Sulfur should be easy to rid of in fermentation.  Try daily rousing when in the primary so that the CO2 will scrub out the SO2.  A story I remember is the brewer at Detroit Beer Co (Now at Old Nation) studied in Germany.  He said the old brewers would strike the fermentors with a rubber mallet before transferring a beer to be lagered.  This cause the CO2 to erupt and scrub the SO2 out of solution.  He stated he would have the beer before and after and it totally worked.