Author Topic: Can Bourbon Barrels be used more than once for making beer?  (Read 48 times)

Vagabond55

Can Bourbon Barrels be used more than once for making beer?
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »
Can Bourbon Barrels be used more than once for making beer? Or are they just one and done?  What do you need to do to condition the barrel for another batch?

kruz805

Re: Can Bourbon Barrels be used more than once for making beer?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:28 AM »
Yes, you can use them for at least two beers back to back.  Best thing to do is when you drain the initial beer, refill it with another.  From what the club has found, by the third fill it may become slightly tart.  Now, our problem has been a lack of refill right after it was emptied.

Dan Fick

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
They can be used as many times as you like.  You will get less and less flavor out of them.... So at some point it's not contributing very much to the beer so you might choose to stop using it then... If you like sour beers this is a good time to introduce bacteria to the barrel to produce sour beers and continue using it.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
HBT "mors"
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Vagabond55

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the info.  My barrel is only an 8 gallon barrel. I will figure something out to fill it after I empty it out for at least one more go at it...

Dan Fick

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:39:26 PM »
Try and get what you want to go in there next brewed before you take out what's in there... If it sits empty you give acetobacter time to grow and make vinegar...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
HBT "mors"
AHA Forums "dkfick"